- Hands kill, but the eyes are the windows to the soul.
- I know it’s a pain in the ass but wear your seat-belt.
- Never accept free food, but if they insist, leave a more than generous tip.
- Always take the seat in the front for line-up your first year. The salts usually sit in the back.
- Do not give your opinion to veteran officers unless they ask.
- Do not call out sick unless there’s a chance you may die your first two years.
- If you have a question, start with another senior officer before you call your sergeant.
- Don’t bitch about pay until your 3 year mark.
- Show nothing but gratitude and thanks when getting your first take home car.
- When your sergeant starts talking “old school” just smile and keep the eye rolling to a minimum.
- Every story your sergeant tells is 100% accurate and not embellished in any way.
- Do not ask for a female officer for every search or sexual offense report involving another female.
- Do not talk politics at work.
- Be very careful in your last 30 minutes on shift. This is when officers make bad decisions.
- Just take the report.
- Domestic assaults = someone is going to jail (usually).
- Be nice to those in property and evidence.
- Always start out nice and treat everyone with respect.
- Seek help if you are struggling with a critical or traumatic incident you worked.
- Don’t lie.
This list could literally go on forever but after 20 I think we would be beating a dead horse. Please, as always, feel free to add to this list or give your comment.
-The Salty Sarge
You can find other ORIGINAL articles like this one and more at The Salty Sarge Facebook Page.